06 December 2005

Reactor startup

Today I had the fun of being a reactor trainee operator. Exciting. Procedures: unlock the SS scram buttons, engage magnet power, withdraw transient to 100%, withdraw RR to ~40%, start withdrawing shim safeties in gang until reactor reaches critical (not exceeding a 20 second period while doing so), withdrawing SS until 1 MW power, ignore John the ex-Navy annoying senior operator's comments and false alarms and coffee spills, engage servo. Oh yeah! I completely forgot about getting to announce over the PA that the reactor is being engaged and/or steady. It made me feel important. On the way down, disengage servo, hit alarm silence button, lower SS in gang along with TR and RR. And, of course, continue to ignore John.

I also made a microwave s'more. It was gooey.

It is also very cold outside (at least for Texas; it's in the high 30's). I need gloves, a hat, and a heavy coat. Because, biking in this weather? Brrrrrr.

0 comments:

Post a Comment