- To get the reactor critical at 300 W, we had to remove all rods but the TR completely, and remove the TR to about 5%, which is about $0.20 of reactivity removal.
- When we took the reactor up to 1MW, where the fuel temperature is about 600 deg F instead of 100 deg F at 300 W, we managed to burn off at least $.02 of Xenon, but of course the thermal reactivity coefficient made our reactor a lot less reactive.
- We inserted the SS rods back to about 92% and the TR back to 0% to bring the reactor power back down.
- At about 300 W, we took the shim safeties out again, in the hopes that our reactor period would be positive (a slightly supercritical configuration instead of a subcritical one). Alas, our period was still the -80.6 second one characteristic of the longest-lived delayed neutron group.
- Therefore, our reactor is lame because it doesn't have enough fresh fuel in it.