22 February 2005

Fallout shelter

fallout shelter sign

Every time I see and stop to think about one of these, I can't help but shake my head in awe of the era that our generation so narrowly missed. I have (and it's archived on the internet) a "Duck and cover" educational video from the 1950's targeting grade-school children. It warns them that should the bomb detonate, they might get very bad sunburns, that they need to hide under their desks should it happen at school... I just watched it again, and it is frightening. I can't imagine having to be a kid in that era and watching that video. That must have messed those kids up.

I'm amazed and terribly grateful that the era of fear of large-scale nuclear war has passed from an ever-present danger into the history books.

0 comments:

Post a Comment